Because of which of the following reasons does an electron microscope give higher magnification than an optical microscope?

Options :
  1. Since it uses more powerful lenses
  2. Since the velocity of electrons is smaller than that of visible light
  3. Since the electrons have more energy than the light particles
  4. Since the wavelength of electrons is smaller as compared to the wavelength of visible light

Answer and Explanation :-

Answer: Option 4

Explanation:

Electron microscopes have certain advantages over optical (light) microscopes. The biggest advantage is that they have a higher resolution and are therefore also able of a higher magnification (up to 2 million times). Light microscopes can show a useful magnification only up to 1000-2000 times. The smaller the object we want to study, the shorter the wavelength and the higher the energy of the probe we need to use. Electrons in an electron microscope have shorter wavelengths than visible light, which is why they can resolve smaller things. Visible light has wavelengths ranging from about 7 x 10 (to the power -7) metres for red to about 4 x 10 (to the power-7) metres for violet. Electrons in a typical electron microscope have wavelengths measured in picometres. One picometre is 10-12 of a metre, meaning that electron microscopes can resolve things hundreds of thousands of times smaller than optical microscopes.

How do you rate this queston?  Very Easy  Easy  Average  Above Average  Tough

Previous Question : Which of the following statements related to the working principles of a dynamo and an electric moto...

Next Question : In which of the following electrical appliances one can observe the conversion of electrical energy ...

Click here for free online test on General Science

Responses

(Getemail alerts when others member replies)

The one thing I do remember is that as I retraced my steps through all the familiar streets of my life, Inow felt completely lost.
-Carolyn Mackler Vegan Virgin Valentine