Which of the following possibilities will occur if a bimetallic strip is heated?

Options :
  1. It will not bend at all
  2. It will bend towards the metal with lower thermal expansion coefficient
  3. It will bend towards the metal with higher thermal expansion coefficient
  4. It will twist itself into a helix

Answer and Explanation :-

Answer: Option 2

Explanation:

A bimetallic strip consists of two strips of different materials but of equal length. These two strips are riveted together at different points along their lengths such that they cannot slip sideways. Typically a welding process is used for bonding, but rivets, bolts, adhesive and other fasteners can also be used. On heating the strip, the metal having the higher coefficient of linear expansion expands more than the other metal and therefore the strip bends. The bending is such that the strip is concave on the side of the metal of low coefficient of expansion and convex on the side of the metal of large coefficient of expansion. On cooling the strip, the reverse happens. Now, the metal having a higher coefficient of expansion contracts more and is therefore on the concave side while the metal of low coefficient of expansion contracts less and is on the convex side. For example, let's consider a bimetallic strip of brass on one side and steel on the other. The expansion coefficients of brass and steel are 19 and 13 parts per million per degree Celsius respectively. Therefore, when heated over a Bunsen burner the strip curves toward the steel side. When cooled in liquid nitrogen, it curves the other way.

How do you rate this queston?  Very Easy  Easy  Average  Above Average  Tough

Previous Question : Which of the following laws of Physics is directly applied in the working of hydraulic brakes used i...

Next Question : Which of the following statements related to the working principles of a dynamo and an electric moto...

Click here for online test on General Science

Responses

(Getemail alerts when others member replies)

My past takes no hostages, no prisoners. I've let go of yesterday and am free to receive the beautiful gift of the present.
-Jaeda DeWalt